Sunday, August 3, 2008

design blogger's challenge again

















Maison 21's Design Blogger challenge, is, well challenging. The chandelier has the onion domes of old Russia, reminiscent of the film Dr. Zhivago.




















So many things impressed me from the David Lean film, not the least of which is the scenes of Zhivago and Lara living at Varykino. Instead of living in the workers cabin, they break into the Summer House. The rooms were covered in snow and dropcloths and were all white. Those rooms and that era were my inspiration for the Edwardian Drawing Room.
















Drawing inspiration from the film, John Singer Sargent's portrait of Teddy Roosevelt, at art.com, and the Londan Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel at qqq.radisson.com/londonuk_vanderbilt. I created a warm and inviting Edwardian Drawing Room. Beginning with the walls, I choose Monterey White from Benjamin Moore; for the floors, I chose French Limestone, from www.ajstoneworks.com/tile The fireplace is the Chelsea from Mantels Direct, www.mantelsdirect.com/chelseaTC.html.
I chose the James chair from Williams Sonoma Home,www.wshome.com, in sueded Chino, Espresso, to flank the fireplace. Between them, I have placed The Trophy Room's beautiful zebra rug, www.trophyroomcollection.com/zebra/rza.html. Finally, because Edwardian Gentlemen need a table on which to set their brandys, I chose the Genoa coffee table from Target.

No comments: