Saturday, January 3, 2009

The 99 things MEME

THE 99 THINGS MEME
Things you’ve already done: bold
Things you want to do: italicize
Things you haven’t done and don’t want to - leave in plain font

1. Started your own blog.
2. Slept under the stars.
3. Played in a band.
Played the B-flat cornet, which we still own and my daughter played. I’ve even marched in a band. But I quit three days after arriving in A-band, where I'd get to wear the cool uniforms.
4. Visited Hawaii.
5. Watched a meteor shower.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
7. Been to Disneyland/world.
As a kid we went to visit relatives, as a kid, the highlight of that trip was visiting Disneyland.
As an adult, as punishment for quitting A-band, God made me spend 14 hours on a bus to Disneyworld in Orlando, with the band. What was I thinking, fourteen hours on a bus? Was I nuts? But Disneyworld was fun, even the Disney-fied European replica. Oh, and by the way, Chocolate is a fruit, I have seen it growing on the tree.
8. Climbed a mountain.
Does hiking over the top of the mountain we were already on count?
9. Held a praying mantis.
10. Sang a solo.
I have operatic training, b-t-dub.
11. Bungee jumped.
12. Visited Paris.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch.
15. Adopted a child.
16. Had food poisoning.
Now, honestly, if you’d never had it, would you italicize this?
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
18. Grown your own vegetables.
In bold and italic because I have and I want to again.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.
20. Slept on an overnight train.

21. Had a pillow fight.
22. Hitch hiked.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill.
24. Built a snow fort.
25. Held a lamb.
No, but a goat started to nibble on my coach bag at a petting zoo. Had to hand the purse off to my husband who wouldn't go into the petting zoo. Yup, just me and the kids in the zoo, with the poo.
26. Gone skinny dipping.
No, but I have seen a streaker.
27. Run a marathon.
28. Ridden a gondola in Venice.
29. Seen a total eclipse.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.
31. Hit a home run.
No, no desire, play in the Tennis Open, yeah.
32. Been on a cruise.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.
I want to visit more of them, Simsbury Connecticut, Scotland, England, Ireland, France and, according to the DNA results, it looks like Norway – maybe the Isle of Skye?
35. Seen an Amish community.
We ate at an Amish home.
36. Taught yourself a new language.
But I can only get so far,
Ciamar a tha thu? - How are you? (familiar, singular)
Ciamar a thu sibh/thu fhèin? - How are you yourself?
Tha mi math. - I'm good.
Tha mi gu math, tapadh leibh/leat.
And, now, we are done.
37.Had enough money to be truly satisfied.
Rockefeller level may be required to achieve that. Pity that, we are descended from Joan not Margaret, de Beaufort. We might have been the richest family in England, now. But that is if, as the DNA indicates, it is proved that our descent is from John Case and Sarah Spencer, not his brothers Thomas or William, as Sarah is the key person here.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.
39. Gone rock climbing.
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David in person.
41. Sung Karaoke.
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.
How did I miss this? We criss-crossed the west visiting relatives.
43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant.
44. Visited Africa.
Morocco I could go for.
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.
I should do this, we go to Charleston often enough.
46. Been transported in an ambulance.
Again, this is an ‘if you hadn’t, would you want to?’ It wasn’t pleasant, but I remembered my training and even in and out of consciousness, I kept repeating my name, my doctor’s name and my address.
47. Had your portrait painted.I
painted my own portrait, might be nice to have it done by someone good.
48. Gone deep sea fishing.
49. Seen the Sistine chapel in person.
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling.
52. Kissed in the rain.
53. Played in the mud.
54. Gone to a drive-in theater.

55. Been in a movie.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China.
But I have been to Shanghai. Again, 21 hours on a plane, with the band. Did I tell you that I am afraid of flying?

57. Started a business.

58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia.
60. Served at a soup kitchen.
61. Sold Girl Scout cookies.
Um, yeah, no I am a Campfire girl, wo-he-lo, y'all!
62. Gone whale watching.
63. Gotten flowers for no reason.
64. Donated blood.
65. Gone sky diving.
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.
67. Bounced a check.
68. Flown in a helicopter.
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy.
Yeah, we have OCD in my family, so I have saved many childhood toys. I guess it’s better than hoarding cats, yup, got one of those, too.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.
71. Eaten Caviar.

Every New Year
72. Pieced a quilt.
Now if I could just get it quilted.
73. Stood in Times Square.
74. Toured the Everglades.
75. Been fired from a job.
I have been given awards then laid off, and then fired – for being a mother.
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.
77. Broken a bone.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.

80. Published a book.
81. Visited the Vatican.

82. Bought a brand new car.
Twice, a BMW, when I should have bought a mini-van, then the mini-van.
83. Walked in Jerusalem.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper.
A reporter drove past my house when I was about 4 or 5 and wanted to snap my picture praying before my plate. My mother was very excited and got out her best china on which, after having my repeated pleading question of “where do I put my gum” ignored, I promptly put it on the plate. Thankfully, the picture was in black and white, and it blended into the pink pattern. Later, in high school I was a ‘post card girl’ in the musical Oklahoma.
85. Read the entire Bible.

86. Visited the White House.

And I live in a ‘burb of DC,…

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating.

Okay, so technically, someone else killed it, my brother shot quail, which my mother fixed and I ate, so doubtful that I could claim, but I have eaten “wild game”.

88. Had chickenpox.

As an infant, so I don’t remember it, but it gave me enough immunity later when my two pres-school aged daughters, then my husband got the chickenpox.
89. Saved someone’s life.
90. Sat on a jury.

91. Met someone famous.
92. Joined a book club.
93. Lost a loved one.

I still miss my Dad.

94. Had a baby.

And they are so awesome, I wish I’d had more just like them.
95. Seen the Alamo in person.
96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake.
97. Been involved in a law suit.
98. Owned a cell phone.
Do you own a cell phone or does it own you?
99. Been stung by a bee.
As the littlest kid, when the big kids knocked loose a nest of bees in a clothes line pole, I was the slowest runner and the one stung. Later, when my dad was home, he stuffed newspaper in the ends of the open pole and set fire to it. Now, we’d use chemical warfare. Technically, they may have been mud daubers, but later I stepped on a honey bee for a true bee sting.

No comments: