Thursday, October 30, 2014

What I am Pinning this Week - The Foyer


This week, after painting the family room, I am dreaming of redoing, perhaps finally finishing is more appropriate, the foyer. I wish I had a proper foyer, with room for a table and a small ottoman underneath. My dream has always been a grand foyer with a sweeping staircase. A beautiful set for wedding pictures and family portraits.

 Pinterest

Someplace where the swagger of beautiful garland is evident.



I love the drama of this glossy painted foyer, though I think that I'd replace the flower arrangement with a mirror over the table. IMHO, the stunning paint treatment should do the talking, here.


Though a grand foyer with an equally grand staircase would be wonderful, I could even go for a just-big-enough space for some dramatic paint and a stunning table, a space to land before continuing into the house.

Chanel Alabaster lamps



I have a fondness for symmetrical balance, but I could go for this, too. The gallery and the arrangement are asymmetrical. The balance of black and white makes the look very all the more stunning. Notice how the photos are all in black and white, providing a subtle repetition of the black shade and table.

Photo Gallery


The two looks above are very high contrast. Stark black against white, or vice versa. With the subtlety of the paint colour in my living room, perhaps a more muted tone is in order.
This stunning foyer by Amanda Carol combines form and function in the storage baskets. This would be a great place for children's shoes, though they may end up overflowing the basket l-o-n-g before they are put away.

As for storage a place for the myriad of cookbooks would be welcome as well, tastefully wrapped in white paper, of course.

A chic wall finish, either paper or stenciling would be stunning. However, given the narrowness of my foyer, it must be limited to the wall in the upper hall. Notice the repetition of the gold in the paper, the furniture and accessories. The Cowtan & Tout wallpaper appears to be available only in green, now. I am drawn to geometric designs and stunning mirrors.


Of course, the builder-grade carpet and lowest end carpet cushion have to go. I want beautiful Maple or Cherry wood treads, with a cheetah or antelope runner. But a paint and faux bois treatment may have to due.

Cheetah Carpet Runner

 Valorie Hart, the Visual Vamp

These are usually wool, aka, pricey and our budget is small. Perhaps painting the steps, they've already got their share of builder white slopped on them from the building process, and creating a faux bois treatement would work.
Faux Bois Treatment?


Of course, all of these ideas can't be used at once. Decisions must be made, costs must be considered. Until then, I can dream.


Follow me on Pinterest! Paula Haymon

No comments: