Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Guest Room



Remember this? My very first blog post, was about this Concept or Mood Board. That month and the summer was full of Prom and College so I never got back to the results.









Be sure to head back to Susan's for more metamorphosis Monday postings!








The guest room had become a dumping ground for laundry, stuffed animals, and cast off furniture. The swing arms lamps are touch lamps, which don't work with a wall switch, hence the need for a regular style table lamp, the little bronze lamp on the table. Tables and their cloths, cast off from other rooms, found their way into the room. Pictures banished upstairs to give a home to Christmas decorations, never returned after Christmas and never recieved just treatment. In short, the room had become a dumping ground of last resort.

The original plan for the room was a major attempt at trying to out-Buatta-Buatta, or out-Faudree-Faudree, or however you want to say it, the plan was w-a-y over the top and not really my style or a reflection of what I want now. In fact, the plan never really progressed very far past being painted. I no longer wanted 5, 6, or 10 different fabrics. I no longer wanted a fussy, over-stuffed room. Now I am increasingly fond of high contrast, clean lined design. White furniture against a black or deep mahogany wall. Simple one color fabrics, preferably cotton or linen, paired with one accent fabric. No or fewer faux paint finishes. Simple, calm, relaxing.

When I first started to remake the room, I created a mood board. Prior to this, my Mood Boards or Color Boards were begun after many hours at the drawing board, creating the plan. This time, I wanted to work in a more conceptually free starting place. I found a photo of an Oscar de la Renta Marigold silk faile ballgown with an embroidered skirt. This became the center of the board. If you squint just right, you might be able to see it on the mood board picture.




Additional images followed, fashion mixed with interiors, most of which were cabinetry, not bedrooms.


The swing arms had to go, happily, my daughter wanted them in her room, where they 'fit' better. The white down comforter was fine, but, for warmer weather, it was replaced with a matelasse coverlet. I found "Blanc de Chine" style lamps at Target. I might have gone with gourd lamps, were I shopping today, but I like the height and the black, slightly flared, drum shades on these. I kept to a yellow and black and white scheme, using the image of the Marigold dress as a model to shop for accessories, most of which were from Target and TJ Maxx. The center pillow will be replaced with a matelasse sham, soon, though I like the pattern and the black and white, the pink is too much. The print, which I originally used in a Designer Showcase, many years ago, was moved to another wall and replaced with a photo gallery. Most of the frames were purchased at Michaels.





10 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your room turned out gorgeous. I love it. So pretty. Hugs, Marty

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I love the end result...so pretty! I also like the idea of the mood board. I need a tool like that to help me focus on what I want to do in my bedroom! Have a great week!...Debbie

Nancy said...

Love it. I have drifted toward a simpler style, too. Always editing out!

Judy said...

Just found your blog tonight and I love this room! Can you tell me the wall color?

Thanks!
Judy

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Beautiful job! I love the pillows!

Janet said...

I really love how it turned out. The pillows and side table make it look like a bed & Breakfast. My guest room finally got cleaned out, it was a dumping ground too. I want it to look similar to this.

Anonymous said...

Be still my heart. Love the B/W contrast. It's always timeless. Your picture wall is fabulous. You have created a room that the door should never be shut.:)

Barbara said...

This room is so beautiful. You did such a great job really figuring out what you want and doing it. I know it isn't easy to redo a room, especially one that has become a dumping ground like this but once you do it, WOW! I love this color scheme.

Sharlotte said...

Your room is so pretty...calm, relaxing, very inviting! Great job!
Sharlotte

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for visiting! I appreciate your comments so much! So sorry that I am lagging a bit behind in getting emailed responses sent.
Judy, The paint color is Benjamin Moore, Sandy White, 2148-50.